Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Excerpt - 'Lost on the Edge of Forever' by Michael Haley

A new day, time for a new excerpt, from 'Lost on the Edge of Forever' by Michael Haley, as part of his bog tour.

About the Book -
Leila, an ambitious and brilliant student, is murdered during her final semester at college, yet discovers she’s been reborn as a spirit resigned to haunt the school of her death. Alejandro, a listless and depressed freshman, arrives on campus eager to reinvent himself after eighteen years of awkwardness, as well as a devastating family tragedy, shake his sense of worth and faith to their cores.

The two lonely souls meet under the auspice of moonlit rain, and soon find themselves irrevocably, passionately attracted to each other. Leila discovers her spiritual body reawakening with sensations that make her feel alive again, and Alejandro discovers a kindred spirit who understands him like no one else. Intoxicated with each other, the impossible lovers begin to dream of finding a way to hold onto their own private miracle. Forever.

Yet how can Alejandro explain to skeptical friends and family that his soul-mate is dead? Why does Leila get the nagging suspicion that within their relationship lies the secret of her continued existence? An unexpected act of evil ignites these unavoidable questions, only to reveal in its aftermath the true purpose of Leila and Alejandro’s star-crossed romance. Will their love allow them to accept a profound destiny that surpasses time and perhaps even God, or is their love destined to die loud and young?

  
Links :
Amazon US: Link
Amazon UK: Link
Barnes & Nobel: Link
Kobo: Link
Goodreads: Link

About Michael Haley -
Michael Haley was born in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, and cultivated in its neighboring vicinities. He graduated with a degree in Psychology from Iowa State University, and now lives with his wife and little-dude-to-be in Bloomington, Illinois. When not writing, he loves indulging and dissecting books, film, and pop art from all canons and genres. Lost on the Edge of Forever is his first novel.
Social Links: Website | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads




Excerpt -

I stood in front of the memorial and stared at the naked granite inscription:
Leila Sepehri.

I read the etched name from left to right, right to left, word for word and letter for letter. Was this what Leila’s gravestone looked like?
Leila is dead. I am alive.
Leila is dead. Leila is dead. Leila is dead. I am alive. I am alive. I am alive.
I am alive. Leila is dead.
Leila’s body, her real body that I would only ever see in old photographs, real body that lived and breathed naturally, was lying below six feet of earth, decomposing into congealed muscle, bone, and dust. Yet that body could no way be lying underground because Leila was still right here, right now, and couldn’t be logically be anywhere else.
Leila’s thoughts about God came to mind. Humbling. There had to be a reason why God chose to accept the rest of the victims into heaven or maybe hell. There had to be a reason God left her behind. Yet I couldn’t believe God would leave a beautiful girl like Leila alone in a world as shitty as ours. But if heaven doesn’t exist, then wouldn’t any kind of existence be better than none at all?
Leila. Leila Alaina Sepehri. Why could I see her when no one else could? The fact I could see her meant, definitively, something happened after death. But if something happened after death, then maybe death really wasn’t death at all, but a new kind of life? And why, despite the fact Leila’s continued existence caused me to question everything I knew about life, a not-so small part of me honestly cared less if Leila was a ghost and cared more about wantingher like I’ve never wantedanyone before in my life?
Why did I like her? Why did I really, really like her? What was it about that girl that inflamed my desire so lustfully as her mere visage confirmed she was the most gorgeous human being I had ever, ever seen? That despite everything I knew about Leila’s death, I still wanted to hold, touch, kiss, and taste her while she screamed with the wildest kind of delight my body could possibly give her? And why did even the mere thought of her make me feel happy in a way I haven’t felt in a long fuckin’ time?
All questions with no answer from the silent voice above. Or, perhaps, below.

No comments:

Post a Comment