Monday, June 23, 2014

Author Interview - David Annandale

Well, if you are a regular reader of my blog, you have noticed that I have started reading some books from Black Library recently. And among these I have really liked the works I have read so far from 'David Annandale' (Yarrick:Chains of Golgotha & Yarrick:A Plague of Saints). So I got in touch with the amazing author and asked if he would be willing to do an interview. He did agree, and I let the questions flow. Thanks again to him for being so kind and making time for me.

So, here goes -
1) Welcome to the blog. Please start by telling us a bit about yourself. Who is David Annandale?

I teach Film, Literature and Creative Writing at the University of Manitoba. I’ve been a horror fan forever, and wound up doing my PhD on horror literature and film. My first horror novel, Gethsemane Hall, came out a couple of years ago. I’ve also written a series of thrillers featuring rogue warrior Jen Blaylock.

2) Why did you decide to be a writer?

I’ve wanted to write for almost as long as I can remember. My first (incomplete) effort was when I was six. I think the drive is a need to tell the stories that I would like to read.

3) How did you start writing for the 'Black Library'?

The Warhammer 40k universe combines all the genres I love in one place: SF, horror, war, and so on. I knew, as soon as I started reading Black Library books, that I wanted to be part of this creative endeavour. My chance came when there was a call for submissions to the Treacheries of the Space Marines anthology. I sent in a pitch for “The Carrion Anthem.” It was accepted, and that’s where it all began for me.

4) So how does it feel to write for a series as enriched with many authors as Warhammer 40,000?

It feels pretty extraordinary, to put it mildly. There are challenges and responsibilities that come with the exhilaration, of course. Quite apart from keeping the work consistent with the fluff and the work of my colleagues, I very much want to live up to the level of craft they have established.

5) If you were a person living in the world of Warhammer 40k what sort of a man/machine/alien would you want to become?

Oh, good question. And a hard one! I will say this: in that grim era, Ghazghkull Thraka actually appears to be enjoying himself. I think it would be pretty fun to be him.

6) I have been enjoying your work with 'Commissar Yarrick' a lot, your idea to do the work at first person narrative was brilliant, how did you come up with this idea?

Thank you! It was actually Nick Kyme who suggested I try that, when we first discussed my taking on the character. As soon as I started work on Yarrick, it felt absolutely right. I hear his voice in my head now, whenever I sit down to give him a new adventure.

7) Read any good book this year?


Not as many as I would like! My To Be Read pile is reaching for the skies! But most recently I have read (and very much enjoyed) John French’s Tallarn: Executioner and Ann Leckie’s Ancillary Justice.

8) Now a fan question, will you be writing more on 'Sebastian Yarrick' in the future?

Oh, yes! Much more to come! I’m writing several short stories about him this summer, as well as the next novel. The plan is for there to be many books to come. After all, Imperial Creed is just the start of his career. There is a lot to explore between then and Armageddon.

9) Can you give us some information on your upcoming projects?


Coming soon is Overfiend, the hardcover collection of three linked novellas: Stormseer, Shadow Captain and Forge Master. And not too long after that is the release of my first Horus Heresy novel, The Damnation of Pythos. Meanwhile, I’ve also been busy with the Grey Knights, and you should be hearing more details about those projects very soon.

PS: I am reading a few more works from 'David Annandale', expect more reviews of his works in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment