Thursday, November 28, 2013

New Book Review - Let's Explore Diabetes with Owls

Book Name - Let's Explore Diabetes with Owls
Writer - Devid Sedaris
Published By - Little, Brown and Company

It's like you started a book wanting to read something and hoping to like that aspect and then ending up liking something else from the book entirely. I started reading this cause I was expecting something very funny in the veins of "Shit My Dad Says", but instead ended up liking it for the serious stuff and the travel stories.


This is my first read of Devid Sedaris so I didn't know what to expect, I expected some kind of very funny autobiography. But it was not so for me, instead the funny parts are the parts I didn't really like as I felt sometimes that the author was trying real hard to make unnecessary fun of other people or sometimes cultures. The parts I liked are like the real life stories that i could really relate to; like trying so hard to impress someone with your limited ability and in the end finding out that nothing you do can give you the response you desire; or the problems of being different than others & trying to fit in somehow or someway (I was a bookish nerd from childhood really); or the anguish you felt when you can't really seem to protect the people you want to protect not because of your lack of concern but because you just can't be there at the right time; and specially the joy of traveling.
The author tried to write the book in short story format which really was a good move by me as it really made me able to take breathers in between, and enjoy it at appropriate atmosphere. I was quite afraid after the first couple of chapters that its gonna get boring later on but the writer was really able to hold me till the end although I quite hated his attempt at sometimes being too forceful to be funny, specially the six or so short stories he wrote in other persons perspective trying to mock those type of personalities.

In the end although a bit disappointing for me from the humor point of view, the book was enjoyable as a real life experience & travel story read.
I'll give this 3 out of 5 stars. 

No comments:

Post a Comment