Friday, July 29, 2022

Graphic Novel Review - Tarzan: The New Adventures Vol. 1

Name: Tarzan: The New Adventures Vol. 1

Written by: Roy Thomas

Illustrated by: Thomas Grindberg, Benito Gallego


I wasn't particularly sure about how I was gonna feel about this collection when I picked up. I was quite sure I would like the story written by the legendary Roy Thomas, but I didn't really know about the illustrators and as I wasn't really caught up in Burroughs' Tarzan mythos so I wasn't really whether this would hamper my understanding or enjoyment. I was also a bit sceptic about the format (Sunday newspaper landscape format) because I have almost no experience with it. 


Fortunately, despite my minimal  recollection of Burroughs' Tarzan mythos and the supporting characters I was easily able to follow the  story. There are two stories on offer in this collection, both of them building upon previous Tarzan story threads. Both had enough action sequences and twists and turns to keep me thoroughly entertained, but I liked the first one more due to its settings. 


The art was quite engrossing and the details of the jungle were depicted very exquisitely. I liked Grindberg's illustrations a bit more, most probably due to his coloring choices. The captions at the end of each page and the different styles used for lettering also complemented the fast paced nature of storytelling. 


Despite my unfamiliarity with the newspaper landscape format and my reservations with cliffhangers on almost every page, I really loved the plot and art. 


This gets 4 out of 5 stars from me. 


No comments:

Post a Comment