Saturday, July 9, 2022

Graphic Novel Review - Pulp

Name: Pulp

Published by: Image comics 

Writter: Ed Brubaker

Artist: Sean Phillips

Colorist: Jacob Phillips


I will start by saying I have read only a few of Ed Brubakers works so I am not really very familiar with his style. Pulp was just a short graphic novel, which packed quite a bit of punch with its crisp and poignant storytelling, but my enjoyment was a bit marred due to the predictability of the ending. 


Pulp is the story of a pulp writer named Max, who is almost at the end of his career who used to write pulp westerns based on his own life experience. He decides to do something daring again to leave a bit of money for his lover to lead a comfortable life. But things rarely go as planned in this type of novels and we get on the ride with Max on his desperate attempts at earning a bit of peace at his end of road.


The monologues by Max were quite clearly the high points of the prose and left a good aftereffect even after the finish. The other characters were fleshed out quite well, although it always felt like a one man show. 


The art and color do add to the atmosphere of the overall experience quite a bit, adding a sense of the times.


My only real issue is that I could predict the ending only after reading the first one third of the book, which lessened my enjoyment quite a bit.


3.5 out of 5 stars from me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment