Friday, July 8, 2022

New Comic Review - Batman #125


Name: Batman #125

Published by: DC comics

Writter: Chip Zdarsky

Artist: Jorge Jimenez, Belén Ortega

Colorist: Tomeu Morey, Luis Guerrero

Letterer: Clayton Cowles


Well, I was following Batman when Tom King began to write the monthly title, but as the quality began to fall gradually, after his run ended I decided to stop. Being a huge fan of Chip Zdarsky's brilliant Daredevil run once I saw his name as the new writer of the series I knew it was about time I started with it again. Can't say I am disappointed with the promising first issue. 


The plot follows Bruce with the aid of Tim Drake as Robin tries to stop someone who is trying to kill Gotham's billionaires. Lots of stuff happens for a single issue including but not limited to one death, one serious injury and one frame-up, and that's excluding the reveal of a new antagonist. The backup feature deals with Catwoman tries to deal with the repercussions of the aforementioned death.


Zdarsky's Batman already feels more humane and realistic in his dialogues and mannerisms than he has been in a while. Tim is as cool and calculative as always and Selina in her backup feature seems as charismatic and conflicted as ever.


I loved the art by Jimenez at times, specially his action sequences and there is a fabulous page of Batman creeping on a bad guy in rain and darkness that honestly gave me the chills. Ortega does a commendable job on the backup feature as well.


My only gripe is that there weren't other Bat related characters here, I wanted to see them through the mind's eye of Chip from the moment I heard of him taking over the title (Specially Damian and Grayson) and also I wanna see more action bits from Jimenez. It will be very hard to wait a month for the next issue.


4 out of 5 stars from me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment