Thursday, August 16, 2018

New Comic Review - Extermination #1

Name - Extermination #1
Published by - Marvel Comics
Written by - Ed Brisson
Art by - Pepe Larraz
   

Coloring by - Marte Gracia
Letters by - VC's Joe Sabino
Release Date: August 15, 2018

 
Although I have been a fan of the X-men for a long time, I would be honest in admitting the X-men hadn't had any extraordinary stories for quite a while now. As an old fan I have been checking out the series whenever something vaguely promising seems to be on with them, but have been disappointed for some years now. Well, maybe some beloved mutants are dying left and right, but I for one, am finally excited again.

Bringing back the past selves original five into present seemed like a dubious and dangerous idea to me, and I was not exactly happy about it. But I did try to keep tabs on them from, time to time, and they did have some freshness compared to whatever else was happening in the world of the X-men. Now, when their journey might be close to its end, I like what 'Ed Brisson' is doing to see them off.

The first issue of 'Extermination' mini-series has all the ingredients of a classic X-men comic. A huge roster of different characters, burst of raw emotion, twists and turns to keep the readers guessing and it it also action-packed to the brim. Two characters die and one old and one not so old villains make their appearances known. And the issue ends with a reveal that keeps us guessing at what might be the connection between these two villains simultaneously attacking our heroes.

Pepe Larraz had made quite a name for himself in his works for Marvel, and once again he shows his class and makes the action seem to jump out to greet the readers. Marte Gracia also did an excellent job with the coloring, drawing attention to details that would not have been to delightful in any other hands. These two along Joe Sabino create a positively hectic atmosphere for the issue which is what the story demands.

To be honest, this issue might be a bit too much to dive into for new readers, as there are many time displaced characters doing stuff which demands a background knowledge to really appreciate. But I guess Brisson and Co is not aiming to gather new readers with this mini. Then again, there is a slight uneasiness in my mind about whether this team can pull of such a challenging and complicated story, but I am certainly keeping my hopes up for the future.

4 out of 5 stars from me.   

No comments:

Post a Comment