Saturday, August 29, 2026

My Musings on Hugo 2026 Short Stories Nominees

So, this year I finally completed reading all of the nominees of Hugo Short Stories picks, and that is just barely, on the eve of the announcement of the winner.

Upon ruminations, I wish I could have read some of the nominees of the other prestigious awards like Nebula or Locus, which didn't get the nod for Hugo. But, now that opportunity has surely passed.

The picks this year:
My Rating: 3/5, My Review 




My Rating: 4.5/5, My Review

My Rating: 4/5, My Review


My Rating: 3.5/5, My Review


My Rating: 3.5/5, My Review


My Rating: 3.5/5, My Review



What other stories could have been picked:
As I have mentioned before I haven't read much short stories from 2025. And what I have read wasn't good enough to be included in Hugo nominations in my opinion. Probably some other stories picked from the nominees from Nebula or Locus awards could've been picked, but I can't really speculate with reading them myself.


The  story that I want to win: 
I want either 'In My Country' or 'Wire Mother' to win, as these two were my favorites. The two stories dealing with two very interesting themes that I enjoyed. One dealing with the overall implications of governance in a state, the other dealing with much more personal concept of digitalization of self.
Both deserving to win in my opinion.


The story that will probably win it:
I think either 'Laser Eyes Ain't Everything' or 'Six People to Revise You' will win it.
Simply because I think these two will resonate with the voters more due to their concept and execution.


Well, there is less than 24 hours to go before we find out who bags the prize. Until then, best of luck to all the nominees.

No comments:

Post a Comment